A complete cycle from the melting process to the final checks. We can produce high-quality components because we constantly invest in the modernisation of our plants which are currently among the most advanced in the industry. Depending on the different activities we can count on:
For manufacturing steel, the Forging Division of Acciai Speciali Terni which has:
- Two 180-ton electric arc furnaces.
- An ASEA-SKF refining plant with up to a 180-ton ladle.
- Two fully automated, 140-ton converters for decarbonisation with argon and oxygen (AOD)
- A VD/VOD plant with a maximum capacity of 140 tons
- The autoclaves for vacuum casting of ingots weighing up to 530 tons.
- Bottom pouring pits for solid and hollow ingots up to 450 tons
The heating department for forging is equipped with:
- Four 1,000-ton heating furnaces fired with natural gas with remote control of the centralised temperature
The forging department is equipped with:
- A 12,600 ton hydraulic press with 700 ton integrated manipulator*
- A 5,000 ton hydraulic press with integrated manipulator
- An oxy-fuel cutting machine for ingots and forgings with maximum diameter of 3,000 mm
Our machine workshop can perform a wide range of machining operations thanks to:
- Thirteen horizontal, numerically controlled lathes up to 360 tons capacity
- Five vertical, numerically controlled lathes up to 250 tons capacity
- Four milling machines
- Two grinding machines up to 300 tons capacity
- Two drilling and polishing machines up to 300 tons capacity
The heat treatment workshop completes the machining with:
- Vertical and horizontal furnaces
- Vertical and horizontal water quenching tanks
- Two rotary furnaces with quenching machines
- A vertical oil quenching tank
The final machining operations are carried out on dedicated vertical and horizontal lathes and on two grinding machines with 300 ton maximum capacity. Ultrasonic testing is performed according to the standards and specific procedures using manual and automatic equipment.
Destructive and non-destructive testing
GUARANTEED QUALITY, TOTAL SAFETY
An exclusive tailor-made service from design to technical tests
Compliance with the most stringent standards, a test laboratory, specific techniques and the skill of our experts provide complete quality control of the highest level for our forgings.
Our non-destructive testing laboratory includes:
- An automatic system for ultrasonic testing of shafts weighing up to 150 tons;
- Twelve portable UT units;
- Eight 6,000-10,000 A units for tests with coloured or fluorescent magnetic particles;
- Endoscopes for axial hole examinations
- Instrumentation for visual exams and liquid penetrant testing
All the staff dedicated to non-destructive testing are qualified for Level II testing in accordance with ASNT-TC-1A and EN-473. The accuracy and completeness of the test procedures and their compliance with the most important Italian and international regulations, as well as consistency with customer specifications, are guaranteed by the long and proven experience of the Level III operators.
Our destructive testing laboratory includes:
- Furnaces for simulated stress relieving heat treatment of samples;
- Machines for tensile tests at room, cold and hot temperatures;
- Pendulums for resilience tests at room, cold and hot temperatures;
- Brinell, Rockwell and Shore fixed and portable hardness testers;
- Hot creep testing machines;
- Fatigue testing machine;
- Pellini test machine (Drop-weight test);
- Portable quantometer for anti-mix tests.
The quality control department includes a laboratory for dimensional control and calibration. The laboratory is equipped with the ultra-modern equipment to ensure reliability, repeatability and reproducibility of measurements. Quality control also uses the chemical analysis laboratory and metallographic examinations situated inside our industrial site.
HEATING FOR FORGING